Walkabout 2

As I was feeling bored today, I went out and walked to Marina Bay, from my house at Toa Payoh Lorong 8. I wanted to just go out and relax my mind, but ended up stressing my body : )

I started from the section of Kallang Park Connector closest to my house at 4.45pm. I just followed the Park Connector, towards Potong Pasir. Walked under an expressway, past St. Andrew's Junior College, crossed over another expressway and fumbled my way inside a private housing area. After I found the next section of Kallang Park Connector, I continued along it and ended up at Kallang.

After reaching Kallang, I traversed along the scenic waterfront and through an industrial area (still part of Kallang Park Connector). When I reached Kallang MRT Station, I turned right along the next major road. I originally planned to follow the road (and the underground MRT track) to Bugis MRT Station, but decided to walk to the City Area when I reached Lavender MRT Station. Apparently, a road sign, a helicopter and a parachuter had influenced my decision. Amazing!

I continued to walk, with the Singapore Flyer as my target because it was big enough to be seen. Also, I've never been near it before. I continued alongside roads, with one stretch so new and empty that 2 Bangladeshi guys cycled against the traffic on the road (though there was no traffic to go against). It seems that road led to a road closed for NDP, so no one was on it. Past that stretch, I found another park, and walked to it.

The park is called Marina Promenade, and that park is right beside a river. I followed the path in it, past a "Ducktours splash point" and ended up under the Benjamin Sheares Bridge (Wah! NEW!). Sadly, it led to a dead end. The F1 tracks are being constructed right beside the path, so I can see the "real" version of the models I saw in the F1 simulator. It's around 6.25pm now, and I wanted to go to the city, so that I can catch a train home for dinner. Therefore I back-tracked toward a road I saw beside the park.

The road is the new road constructed for the F1 race, and half of it was closed. I crossed it, and turned right. It was a dead end too, as it led up to a footpath along the Benjamin Sheares Bridge. Therefore I back-tracked again, and followed the new road to the Singapore Flyer... Haiz, when I ended up at the dead end at Marina Promenade, I am very close to the Singapore Flyer, but had no means of reaching it unless I crossed the grass and into the construction site. After so much trouble, I am back at the same area, only on the other side of it...

Anyway, I kept following the road and ended up at Millenia Walk. Finally, a building! From Millenia Walk, I proceeded to Marina Square, then to Citylink Mall, then to City Hall MRT Station. Finally sat down for 5 minutes while waiting for the train, then took a train (standing) back to Toa Payoh MRT Station where I caught a bus home (still standing). Got back for dinner at 8.25pm.

Notes:
- When I first started along the Kallang Park Connector, I measured that I took 1 minute 11 seconds to cover 100m with my leisurely walking speed. That is a measly 5 5/71 km/h, or around 5.02 km/h.
- Assuming I walked with a constant speed (impossible, but I tried), I've walked 8 2/71 km, or around 8.03 km to reach Benjamin Sheares Bridge.
- The private housing area that I went through is a nice area to live in.
- The waterfront at Kallang is really beautiful.
- I had to cross several fast roads during the journey, which must have irritated the drivers because I needed to use the traffic lights.
- Along that ulu stretch of road was a couple. Must have been creepy for the couple as I don't think they'll expect anyone to follow them along the road. At least I increased my speed to walk past you 2 as soon as possible OK!
- It is a really bad idea for a pedestrian to try and walk from Marina Promenade to the City Area (e.g. Millenia Walk) as the roads are a bit confusing and definitely winding.
- The Asiasoft Gamefest was on at Marina Square Central Atrium. Looks kind of strange, but there was quite a crowd.
- I think Kallang River might be a good place in the future if you're looking for a quiet time fishing or just enjoying nature. This is especially true for the Kallang waterfront area, but other areas (e.g. just outside St. Andrew's Junior College) are good too. Come! I can walk there to meet you all!

No comments: